The Honking Goose

something to honk about

my day off

I gave myself the day off today because I care about my health. I called in last night, making the excuse that I needed to stay home today with my kid. That’s not completely accurate. I will be mostly home today, though. And I do have a kid. Two actually. So it is partly true.

I work at a corporate chain fabric and craft store. I started there three years ago, left for a while to work in a restaurant BOH, then went back to work at the fabric store about a month ago. I like it there. The people I work with are great, the customers wonderful and I like helping people with their projects and sewing questions.

One of my problems with it, the reason for calling out today, is that when the floors are washed and waxed (every six weeks approx.) the fumes are intensely toxic. The building has no ventilation. None. On nice days we can open the front door and there are ceiling fans, but on such a big building that does very little to circulate the air.

If I go in to work the next day, before the store is open, the front door is locked and all those toxic cleaning fumes are just stewing inside. I have been there on mornings like that and gotten terrible headaches from the fumes. I have had my managers say to us, okay let’s all go outside for a minute for some fresh air, we stand outside and gulp fresh air for two minutes and then go back in and lock ourselves in with the toxic air again.

Well, not today my friends. I make minimum wage. I don’t get paid enough for that. Give me a break. I saw floors on the schedule for last night and I called out. I used my kid as an excuse. I’ll be honest with you about it.

In case you are wondering, after it happened to me the first couple of times, I filed a complaint with OSHA. The response I got back was that they looked into it and our store meets OSHA safety standards. Well, they ought to change the safety standards, because if employees are getting headaches from the fumes that are not ventilated from the building, that cannot possibly be safe. And customers are breathing in the fumes when they go inside and shop the next day. Or who knows how many days it takes before that really clears out. I will go back to work tomorrow and I hope it won’t be too bad.

Today I get a bonus (unpaid) day off. I will clean up my house. I’m going to make some homemade mayonnaise and yogurt. And I’m going to rest my sore muscles from all the hiking and running I did Sunday and Monday. I’m hobbling around like an old lady today because of how sore I am. Feels good though.

Love to you all!! Honk at me!

Advertisements

6 comments on “my day off

  1. Melanie
    October 10, 2017

    Contact OSHA again, and the Board of Labor for your state, and your local fire department. It seems from your description that the building may be out of code. Also contaxt the property management company that oversees the location, as well as corporate headquarters for the store. You can do all of these things anonymously. But please don’t ignore it. I suffered a severe illness as a result of extremely poor air quality in a mall where I used to work. My illness resulted in losing my job two weeks after suffering a collapse while on duty; my immediate supervisors decided I wasn’t truly ill despite trips to numerous doctors for extensive testing for months and full documentation of my illness. I wish I had gotten the above authorities involved when I was first experiencing side effects from the air quality issue. Turns out, the store where I worked was a unit in the oldest part of the mall and the problem wasn’t resolved until the store was remodeled, which was too late for me.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. mitchteemley
    October 10, 2017

    Oy! Glad you took the break!

    Liked by 1 person

  3. MrJohnson
    October 10, 2017

    Next time there’s fumes pretend to pass out in front of all the customers.

    Liked by 1 person

  4. insanitybytes22
    October 10, 2017

    Congratulations on your day off and on your self care. 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

Honk at me:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on October 10, 2017 by in Work and tagged , , , , , , , .
%d bloggers like this: